Top 5 Apartment Amenities
Apartment Amenities that Matter – Best Amenities
It’s always good to make a checklist of what amenities you must have in your new apartment home before searching. I’ve decided to compile a list of the top five amenities I hear requested when assisting clients with their search. Nearly all Houston Apartments have one or more of these features.
The following should be of some help in creating a list and narrowing down your options:
1. Washer and Dryer Connections (Full Size W/D Included) – I’m a firm believer that having in unit washer/dryer connections play an important role in your quality of life. Having to use on-site facilities or worse yet a laundromat, brings a certain feeling of dread. The task begins with scrounging for quarters followed by lugging a giant pile of dirty clothes down stairs that you hope you don’t get tripped up on. Then, once you get the load into the machines you can’t leave. If you do leave somebody could come by and take your clothes out if they need the machine, or they might even steal your clothes! Avoid wrinkles in your clothes and your life by renting an apartment with washer/dryer included. I recommend Broadstone West Eighteenth, apartments in Houston Heights, because they have top of line washer and dryers.
2. Garden Tubs (and/or Walk-in Showers) – Bubble baths are fun. If you think garden tubs are fruity, which they are…Adam, then make sure your unit comes with a walk-in shower. If you don’t enjoy a bubble bath every now and then, you’re not living life. If you’re tall like me a regular sized tub just won’t cut the mustard for bath purposes. A garden tub a.k.a. DEEP DISH tub will leave you with ample room for all your bathing needs. Some garden tubs now have jacuzzi jets in them which massage you and provide a more relaxing experience. Whether you’re looking to recreate the Pee-Wee and Francis bath scene or just need extra ledges for your shampoo collection, you’re sure to enjoy a great big garden tub in your apartment.
3. Resort-Style Pool – There are all types of swimming pools at apartment communities – Olympic, European saltwater, infinity, rooftop, hot tubs, etc. As long as the complex has some type of pool you should be good. If an apartment community doesn’t have a pool it usually means they are not too concerned with hosting resident meet up activities. I think it’s important to mix and mingle with the people who live around you because that’s the easiest way to make new friends. The Trails at Rock Creek apartments in Northwest Houston have a lazy river that you can tube around while meeting your neighbors.
4. Gated Access – Feeling safe is the concern I hear most often when finding apartments for people. For some, gated access is enough, but others want a gate security officer, 24 hr. patrol, and in-home alarm system. Personally, I feel that the gate itself is probably enough to deter criminals away from Apartments in Houston. When shopping for an apartment with a gate make sure there is a camera system in place as well. If someone does break into your apartment, capturing their license plate on tape may be the best way to catch the crook.
5. Non-Carpet Flooring (Stained Concrete or Hardwood Floors, Preferably) – There are three main types of non-carpet flooring – wood, laminate, and stained concrete. If you have a dog, finding an apartment with non-carpet flooring is almost a no-brainer. Keep in mind that wood and laminate scratch easily, so if you’re dog is large – 50 lbs. or more – there’s a good chance the floor is going to get scratched up. I’ve heard of property management keeping entire deposits for scratched floors, so do yourself a favor and find a unit with stained concrete if you have a big dog. Other advantages of non-carpet flooring are that it’s easier to clean, better for people with allergies (dust gets trapped in carpet), and when shined they make your pad look baller.
By Adam Shrum