Archive for the ‘types of apartments’ tag
Texas Apartment Types Defined
The terminology used to describe available apartment types in Texas various from city to city. While some terms are common sense and used universally, many others are new to the market and uniquely regional. Below is a glossary of terms widely used in the Texas multifamily housing market that should help take some of the enigma out of your apartment hunt.
Studio Apartments/Efficiency Apartment:
- Studio/Efficiency (Bachelor Apartment) – An efficiency (0-1) apartment, also known as a studio apartment rental, is basically a one room apartment layout. It generally includes a kitchen open to the room and a closed-off bathroom. They can range in size drastically, but studio apartments in Texas generally stay int he realm of 350-475 sq. ft.
- Alcove Studio Efficiency – has an alcove, or unique, separate area or nook for dining, sleeping, or studying, and is generally, larger than a normal efficiency apartment rental. Often times, they are configured in an L-shape.
One Bedroom Apartment:
- 1-1 Apartment rental – One bedroom apartments are meant for a single person or couple in which to live. Under Texas State Law only two individuals are allowed per bedroom. So, if you are married and have a child, you will have to lease a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom or 2 bedroom, 1 bathroom apartment floor plan. One bedroom apartments consists of a separate bedroom equipped with a built in closet (many times a spacious walk-in closet), a living/lounge area, kitchen and bathroom.
- Junior 1-1 Apartment - Junior one bedroom apartments for rent vary in both layout and size. In Texas, a junior one bedroom usually implies a small one bedroom apartment with they actual bedroom being quite small, fitting at best a queen-size bed and nightstand. A junior 1-1 apartment home could also be a super large studio efficiency. Junior one bedroom apartments for lease are great for students or for those on a budget.
- 1-1 with Den/Sunroom – Generally garden-style in nature meant for a single person or couple featuring a den or sunroom. One bedroom apartments with den/sunroom are ideal for those renters seeking a little more space than your normal 1-1 apartment floor plan or for those who work from home and can use the extra space as an office or study. Many 1-1 apartments including den or sunroom come complete with built-in computer desk or study nook.
Two and Three Bedroom Apartments:
- 2-2 and 3-2 Apartments – Meaning two bedrooms and two bedrooms or three bedrooms and two bathrooms. This type of living is enticing to students and young professionals on a budget looking to split the cost of rent and utilities.
- Lofts in Texas – There are two primary types of loft apartments in Texas: hard lofts (also known as historic or industrial-style lofts) and soft lofts (also known as newly built lofts).
- Hard Lofts in Texas – Offer an authentic “true loft” feel. Residents see value in the history and uniqueness of the building. They appreciate the rough, open feel to the units. Hard renovated unites are characterized by original concrete floors, exposed building support beams, exposed duct work, and open floor plan layouts. Visit our Houston lofts page and check out Post Rice Lofts for a great example of a traditional hard style loft apartment.
- Soft Lofts in Texas – Soft units are built more in an apartment style and feature polished concrete or hardwood flooring, granite counters, over-sized garden bathtubs, and track lighting. Soft lofts apartments provide the savvy renter amenities and features of a luxury, newly constructed apartment community and offer a more refined, upscale living experience. Visit our Austin lofts page and check out Greystar SoCo Lofts for a prime example of soft-style loft living in Texas.
- Corporate Housing Apartments in Texas – refer to any type of apartment rental offering short term leasing for business purposes. Often times, corporate housing apartments will offer residents a “preferred employee” discount to counter the high price rate of renting short term.
- Short Term Lease Apartments – refers to apartments offering lease terms under 6 months, generally 3 months and under. Some apartment communities will even allow month-to-month lease agreements.
- Student Housing Apartments – Offers university and college students a like a nice place to live at discounted rates. Student apartments are generally newer, offer amenities and features that cater to student life such as built-in study nooks, sand volleyball, complimentary on-site tanning booths, and putting greens. In most cases, student housing apartments are located near a particular university or college, but not always. When the distance between apartment and university/college is lengthy, a shuttle bus to campus will be provided outside of the communities entrance. Visit our Austin West Campus apartments page and check out Texan Pearl for a prime example of student housing in Austin, TX.
Work Studio Rental:
- Work Studio Rental (live/work apartment) – refers to a commercial building where some residential tenancy is accepted. A live/work studio rental has a kitchen and full bathroom with shower. Work studio rentals are popular among artists in Austin, Texas seeking a small space to work near downtown. Browse our Downtown Austin apartments page for a few prime examples of these types of Texas rentals.
- Penthouse Apartments in Texas – A penthouse is an apartment on the top floor of an apartment building, condominium, or high-rise, usually with an extra private balcony/patio or a roof top terrace. These types of apartments in Texas are considered to be top of the line in apartment renting today, offering only the most luxurious amenities and features. Penthouse apartments tend to be located in the most desirable neighborhoods, such as downtown. Visit our Houston Galleria apartments page and check out 1200 Post Oak for a prime example of these prestigious apartment types.